I have been into fitness since I was a young teenager. Exercise is a huge part of my life. Endorphin release during exercise becomes addictive; one of the few healthy addictions! It is also an excellent tool for releasing stress, and, of course, staying fit!
After much coaxing from friends and clients, I finally bit the bullet and tried Hot Yoga. (my main reservation was that I sweat enough with hot flashes!…and also that yoga was perhaps too mild an exercise for me after years of aerobics and weights)
The first class was ok. I thought “I can do this once or twice a week”. Good stretch, great detoxifying sweat, and some intense isometric exercise.
I am now in week 3 and finding myself arranging my schedule so I can get there at least 3 times a week. I am addicted! There is no other exercise regime, that I have found, that achieves such full benefit; mind, body AND soul!!
I highly recommend Hot yoga…for anyone!
LIFEWISE Healthy Eating Tips for Christmas – and beyond
‘Tis the season of over-indulgence in rich, delicious and, sad to say, generally unhealthy food. But panic not. You can still enjoy all the goodies of the season, interweaved with some sensible eating, and not put on ten pounds and spend the next three months regretting everything.
Start here, with 12 healthy eating tips for the Christmas season.
- Feast for a couple of days, then return to normal. Buy less, and don’t let the holiday season turn into an excuse for a month of bingeing.
- Watch what you drink. Five or more drinks of alcohol at a time is more then enough. It’s okay to have an extra glass or three if it’s just once a year – and you’re not likely to do anything more regrettable than wake up with a headache. But for the rest of the year, spread drinking out over the week, and have one alcohol-free day in every seven, minimum.
- Don’t keep celery just as an accompaniment for rich cheeses. Cut up a box of mini-sticks of celery, and nibble on them when you need a snack. Celery keeps blood pressure low, and helps lower cholesterol too.
- Keep reading the labels, but don’t be fooled. Are ‘lite’ potato chips or crisps really a great health option? Yes, you could save a worthwhile 20 calories on a packet – but they’re still a high-fat food, so not really worth it!
- Out of sight is out of mouth. Hide away indulgent foods, cream and other temptations in the salad drawer, so they don’t beckon every time you open the fridge door.
- Brazil nuts are rich in selenium, which improves mood and reduces anxiety. Eat just 3 a day. Watch ALL nuts. Although they are healthy, they are high in fat!.
- Fill up on before a meal with a Virgin Mary or Caesar – tomato or clamato juice, lemon, ice, Worcester sauce. You’ll be less ravenous when you reach the table.
- If you’re used to working out, have a vigorous session the day before a feast, and you’ll burn extra calories more efficiently. This is not the time to embark on a new exercise regime, though, if your body isn’t accustomed to so much exertion. Save it until the New Year, and start gently.
- Cinnamon balances blood sugar and reduces ill effects of sweet foods. Stir a little into tea or coffee.
- Watch portion sizes like a hawk. Forego the extra spoonful, the second mince pie, never pile food high… do it all in moderation.
- At the supermarket, avoid huge ‘bargain’ packs of special nuts, biscuits etc. Buy smaller sizes and cut the temptation.
- Serve two vegetables with each meal (try not to smother them in cream sauce), and put salad greens in everything possible.
“Alison is great, she designed a meal plan tailored just for me with my likes and dislikes including the fact I hated salad (at the time)! She helped me learn how to enjoy new healthy foods. I actually crave the crunch and taste of vegetables now instead of all the bad things I was eating before! I used to be an out of the freezer and into the oven, fast food kind of person with a very, very busy life and really never cooked. Alison answered my many questions promptly and really supported me to get me to where I am now. 45 pounds lighter, from a size 12 to a size 2 and it feels GREAT! If I can do it ANYONE can!!” … Louise Vessey
“I found the Lifewise Program very interesting and easily achievable. Alison provided tons of information and support throughout the process. I have achieved my goal weight and would very much recommend the Lifewise Program.” … Shari
… more to come