Use honey for all of your sweetening. Do not touch artificial sweeteners or sugar (natural or not). 1 teaspoon of honey is only 15 calories, and full of health benefits. Read on and you will be sold!
When we look at the word “raw”, we associate it with the preservation of important vitamins, minerals and enzymes. Just as raw vegetables are preferable because of their nutritional content, the same is true of honey. Raw honey is honey that has not been heated, pasteurized or processed in any way. The differences between raw and pasteurized honey are substantial. Raw honey is an alkaline-forming food that contains natural vitamins, enzymes, powerful antioxidants and other important natural nutrients. These are the very nutrients that are destroyed during the heating and pasteurization process. In fact, pasteurized honey is equivalent to and just as unhealthy as eating refined sugar.
Raw honey has anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties. It promotes body and digestive health, is a powerful antioxidant, strengthens the immune system, eliminates allergies, and is an excellent remedy for skin wounds and all types of infections. Raw honey’s benefits don’t stop there. Raw honey can also stabilize blood pressure, balance sugar levels, relieve pain, calm nerves, and it has been used to treat ulcers. Raw honey is also an expectorant and anti-inflammatory and has been known to effectively treat respiratory conditions such as bronchitis and asthma.
Raw honey purchased from a local source is an excellent way of treating seasonal allergies. Local honey is preferred for treating allergies because the likelihood is great that it will contain small amounts of the specific pollens an individual may be allergic to.
Raw Honey is an effective natural remedy for a variety of conditions
For centuries, honey has been used to treat all sorts of ailments. It can be applied topically to heal wounds and rashes, or it can be taken internally to treat infections and address other health concerns. Although there are numerous remedies, the following are popular remedies for common everyday conditions.
For skin burns, rashes, and abrasions, place a honey poultice over the affected area.
Raw honey is also an effective treatment for acne. A small amount placed on blemishes and acne nightly will often clear the skin in a short period of time. Washing your face with honey will also leave you with sparkling, clean, soft skin.
Raw honey’s antibiotic properties are effective in treating colds and sore throats. Raw honey coats the throat and reduces irritation. For blocked sinuses, mix a teaspoon of honey in a pot of hot water, put a towel over your head, and just inhale the steam.
To treat allergies, take a teaspoon of raw honey a couple of times a day starting a few months prior to allergy season.
The many varieties of honey
There are many varieties of honey, some of which are used to treat specific health conditions. Manuka honey has strong anti-bacterial properties and is used to treat a variety of conditions which include colds, sore throats, indigestion, stomach ulcers, and acne.
Acacia honey cleanses the liver, promotes intestinal health, and reduces inflammation in the respiratory tract.
Buckwheat honey, a strong tasting and dark honey, has strong antioxidant properties. Unfortunately, Buckwheat Honey is very scarce, especially in the United States. An alternative would be Red Gum Honey that also has strong antioxidant properties.
Eucalyptus honey can be used to prevent colds and headaches.
Heather honey has been used since ancient times for its medicinal properties. This honey contains a high level of protein.
Linden honey is known for its sedative and antiseptic properties. It is used to treat anxiety, insomnia, colds, coughs, and bronchitis.
WHAT/WHERE TO BUY HONEY ON PEI
Sobeys- Island Gold
Superstore- Presidents Choice Organics Unpasteurized
Island tailored Meats- Island Gold (jars and 5-10 lb pails)
Farm Gate from your friendly neighborhood/country beekeeper! Ask around…Stan Sandler/Murray River, Liquid Gold, Rustico are 2 sources on PEI
N.B. Stevia is a non toxic, zero calorie sweetener that s not bad for you, and may be used when you are eliminating sugar from your diet completely.
How to use honey (other than the obvious J )
- Apply honey liberally on a wound to speed healing.
- Apply honey to a rash, burn or scrape, and cover loosely.
- A tsp taken 3 times per day can help prevent seasonal allergies.
- A tbsp of raw honey sprinkled with cinnamon taken 3 times per day can boost the immune system and fight off a cold or sore throat.
- A spoonful of honey can soothe a cough caused by a tickle or sore throat.
- A couple of tablespoons of honey stirred into hot tea can lessen the symptoms of a cold or flu.
- Honey mixed with equal parts coconut oil makes a wonderful skin conditioner.
- Some studies say that honey can help control blood sugar fluctuations.
- Raw honey increases the production of antioxidants in the bloodstream.
- Recent studies proved that honey reduced overall cholesterol levels when taken daily.
- Honey applied topically to a wound or incision moistens the skin and helps prevent or reduce scarring.
Recipe: Homemade Cough Syrup
- 2 lemons, scrubbed and thinly sliced (organic please, or buy the organic juice)
- 6 tbsp of grated ginger root (grate from frozen on fine side of grater)
- Honey as needed
- In a glass jar, layer the lemon slices and grated ginger until the jar is full.
- Pour honey into the jar, using the blade of a kitchen knife to move the lemon and ginger around and make room for it.
- Store it in the fridge for at least 2 weeks before using it. Then, take 1-2 tsp 3 times per day, as needed, for coughs or sore throats
You can also stir a few tablespoons of the syrup into hot water for a homemade “Neo-Citran”-style hot drink without all the nasty chemicals. It is delicious as an evening tea; also great for digestion.
When you feel nauseous, drink this instead of sugar laden ginger ale!!
Lemon juice has valuable liver cleansing benefits, and is alkalizing for the body. Ginger is anti-inflammatory, great for digestion and alkalizing. Consider starting your day with this nutrition packed beverage. You can have your CUP of coffee or tea afterwards!